Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Bet Shemesh Blue Sox select…

The next three words out of Mr. Larry Baras’ mouth, “pitcher Ben Pincus,” still seem a little unbelievable. Just to get drafted would have been an honor, but to be a top ten pick was as unexpected as it was exciting. Considering last year at this time I was pretty sure that I was done playing baseball, being drafted by at professional baseball league was an indescribable experience. If you do not believe me watch the video of the draft and try and catch my reaction after my name is called, it’s kind of hilarious. The whole night was a great experience and I would like to thank all of those who put it together. From Martin Berger and Dan Duquette to the great group of students at Cardozo, Emily Posner and Bella Belsky, you guys truly made it a night to remember for the rest of my life.

Now as for my life since then I have moved back to sunny Treasure Island, Florida and am enjoying the ability to wear shorts and see the sun on a daily basis. I am going to help my father coach his high school summer team until I leave for Israel. I have been working out and throwing on a regular basis and have started throwing bullpens. In the meantime I am going to the beach and playing as much golf as I can. After being in New York and hearing the constant pale jokes (is this what you northerners deal with) from all my friends I decided I would take it upon myself to make the necessary changes, even if they included being painfully sun burnt for a few days.

I am getting more and more excited about going over to Israel and getting this league started. All my friends and family are very interested and I have been getting a lot of phone calls and e-mails with questions, congratulations and a few smartass remarks. On a recent trip to the University of North Florida, where I went to college, as I entered the baseball field to go workout I received a terrific reaction from all my old teammates and coaches. Even my old head coach had words of encouragement. After making the three hour trip to school and seeing him for the first time in months he knew exactly what to say, “You sure don’t dress like a second round pick.” Trust my coach is a great guy and this I would not expect anything less.

Now it is time for my second installment of, “My Biggest Fan at This Moment.” My first,”biggest fan,” was more humorous, this one is more from the heart. My biggest fans have always been my family. Baseball is a big deal in my family and I know how happy my family is for me to have this opportunity. While my whole family could make my list, I want to recognize my big brother, Loren, as, “My Biggest Fan of This Moment.” He was an amazing baseball player who also played in college. I have no doubt he could have played with me in the IBL, we have actually never played on the same team, but minute details like a wonderful wife and a job as a lawyer kept him from trying out. I know no one wants me to do well more than my brother. So thanks, Lor, for being, “My Biggest Fan at This Moment.”

That is all for now. Thank you to everyone who is reading and leaving me your comments, I hope I can keep you interested all season long.

5 comments:

Grumer said...

I'm rooting for you, I'll be at the game on July 1st! Blue Sox all the way!

Unknown said...

I couldn't be more honored to be this week's “My Biggest Fan at This Moment”...Blue Sox Nation!!

#8 overall pick?!?! I knew we should have held out for Zito cash!!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to playing with you this summer. Lead us to the first ever championship in the IBL and I'll be your biggest fan!

#57 overall
Player/Coach Pearl

lonman1129 said...

Ben no pressure but I used my #1 pick on you in the CBS/IBL draft. Make me proud.
Lon

Ali said...

I appreciate the "wonderful wife" shout out! You just got to Isreal today so keep us posted on everything. I can't wait to see our first game when we're there in a few weeks! Good luck, Ben!!